Tuesday 11 August 2015

Days going by...

Woke up this morning, logged onto the patchy Samoan internet and saw some great news today.  Ben Freeman became the first Canberran to swim the English Channel over-night. I gave him a call to congratulate him and remarkably he sounded as though he had just swum a 2km race not the pinnacle of open water swimming.  Fantastic effort Ben and Narelle, Lucas and I could not be happier for you!

The wait for a swim here in Samoa continues. I continue to do the 1 hour swim Andrew requested from me each day, it keeps the shoulders moving and the tension out. Today we ventured all the way to the reefs edge and even though it was rough the visibility was good and we got to see some coral and fish.

The seas outside the reef have been very rough and a swim all but impossible. However, according to the weather and tide data things are settling down tomorrow and by Wednesday morning we should have pretty flat conditions. It looks about 5am Wednesday (2am Canberra Time) will be the time…we will just wait and see!


The waiting game is not as difficult as I thought.  However, I have learnt one thing and that is not to have an ocean view room over looking the swim course.  It really becomes an obsession looking out over the expansive water body and thinking I wonder when I will get the chance. I think for the English Channel swim I will stay well inland in a room with no view.