Monday 3 August 2015

Second Samoan swim - 10km

Up at the crack of dawn for another training swim. This time a 10km swim in an event...this is unusual for me as I am not a fan of racing, I much prefer the concept of 'just' finishing for self gratification and fulfilment than beating a person or a clock.

I decided I would work on a few areas of my swimming that require attention. That been longer gliding and quickier feeding. The first lap of the 2.5km course was quick and things were going well. This was until about the 90min mark when I lost my breakfast to the fish. The winds had got up and the usually quite waters in the reef were now a mess of white caps and an annoying swell that peaked over the reef outcrops.

After another few unscheduled stops, including one 10 minute stop to dislodge last nights dinner to the fish the 10km was completed in a respectable time, but far from my best.

During those few hours the emotions ranged from wow this is a nice place to this swim is hell and what am I doing here? But regardless I finished with lots of gas in the tank and a positive outlook toward next week considering what had just unfolded.

However, the day belonged to Dave, his first marathon swim done and dusted. Having supported me through my swimming endeavours it gave me such pleasure to watch Dave finish his very first 10km event...even in these tough conditions he came in side by side with his wife Pauline at 4 hours 27 mins.  Fantastic effort considering his longest swim was 4km before this race... u r now a marathon man.