Saturday 8 August 2015

Training is done...

Five training swims down and I think we are now ready to go! I have been swimming in a beautiful blue lagoon that has a powerful current which gives me a good test, especially heading into it. I was only averaging 1.7km/h yesterday into it and over 5km/h back down!

The water has cooled off considerable after a week of strong winds mixing the ocean and 4 days of what the Samoans are calling a cold snap. The water temps are down to about 23 or 24c which should make the swim so much more comfortable than the 28c I was anticipating.

As for the swim the weather report is not looking favourable until late next week. High winds, large seas and thunderstorms are predicted until Wednesday. There is potentially a small window between 2am and 9am on Monday but each time the weather report is reissued that weather window gets smaller and smaller. 

All we can do is just wait and see how it goes. I told the organiser the other day I did not want to spent 8 hours in conditions like Mondays event. Those conditions were nothing short of miserable and I don't think with such strong crosswinds pushing us away from the island the crossing would be possible.