Friday 14 August 2015

The day after...

The day after I had my first DNF (did not finish) in a swimming event and/or training session is bright and sunny.  As strange as this sounds I actually want to go for a swim.

Gone is the sadness and extreme frustration of having to end my swim early yesterday because of a very painful jellyfish sting under the arm. I tried and I failed, but I only failed because I tried.

I would guarantee 99.9% of the population would not even attempt this swim knowing they had to start in the middle of the night, there were jelly fish everywhere and huge seas and a stormy afternoon predicted for the second half of the swim.  I am proud of been able to swim a further 11km in pain from where I was stung by blue bottles before tipping my hat to the Apolima Channel.

I have a few take aways from this swim.
  • Adversity:
    • You could not have planned a worse start than what I had yesterday. Not only did I get stung by blue bottle jellyfish we also spent a considerable amount of time swimming blind in the dark without a lead boat guiding me.  As you can see from the start of the track we were more or less put into a holding pattern until our support boat found us. It was only then we could leave the safety of the reef and head out into the deep water.
  • Shoulders:
    • i need to work on the acid buildup in my shoulders over a period of a weeks training in the open water.
  • Support crew:
    • My support crew need to know what to do when and if something like this happens in the channel

Even though I did not complete the swim I have learnt a lot about some of my limitations and how far I can extend myself after having things not go to plan.